CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 13, 2010

Another Friday, Another NST

Last Friday I had another non-stress test and amniotic fluid index.

Here's what happened:

I drove to St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake (not reclining, of course).

I checked in at the desk, used the restroom, after which they brought me immediately to the bed for the AFI.  The technician began the procedure of using an ultrasound to measure the four quadrants of fluid.  When she finished she said, "I'm going to get someone else to check this."  "What was it?" I asked.  "Six point three," she said.  [Normal is 8 to 24; my last two AFIs were 10 and 10.4.]

So, I promptly freaked out in my head.

Oh, no.  What are they going to do?  They might decide to do a C-section and get Sofia out of there!  But I what about Danny being here?  I have our only car.  He would have to get a ride with someone.  Maybe my mom could bring him.  Well, so much for sending him to Costco today.  That'll have to wait.  What about a car seat?  We won't be able to bring Sofia home without a car seat!  What are we going to do?  How could I be at 6.3??!  Danny's in court, but should I text him to warn him that he might need to leave early because our baby might be on her way today?

Fortunately, at about that time, another sonographer came in and took measurements in the four quadrants again.  This time, the number was 9.3.  But she said, "I think it's probably closer to 11.  I don't think the computer is adding these numbers right."

Phew!

So, everything was fine after all.

But seconds later they took my blood pressure.

It was 141/92. 

But that's not bad considering what I'd just been through.  Eventually, it went down to around 124/89 and 133/88.

And during the NST, the nurse showed me some of Sofia's movements on the ultrasound screen. 

At one point, Sofia was doing something that looked like crunches, like she was working out her abs.  The nurse explained to me that she was practicing her breathing, and that it was a good sign that she's maturing.

About 15 minutes later, Sofia got the hiccups and her heart rate jumped up around 170-188 bpm.  Poor thing; she hates getting the hiccups.

So, Sofia is still doing well.  And my blood pressure stays down as long as I do.

***

Quick comment on my pre-natal massage:

It can only be described as ... heavenly!

A BIG thank you to my friend Jess for giving me the gift certificate to "Salt Lake Prenatal Massage."  I totally recommend it!! 


0 comments: