For those of our friends and family that have not heard, I've been sentenced to bedrest.
After two doctor's appointments with my blood pressure around 150/100, my doctor diagnosed me with pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) which is often a precursor to pre-eclampsia. Pre-eclampsia involves high-blood pressure that causes kidney failure (indicated by protein in the urine) for the mother and often growth restriction in the baby.
Fortunately, I don't have protein in my urine (yet). My doctor is hopeful that bedrest will control my blood pressure. If it does, I can plan on being induced around week 37 or 38 (between October 3rd and October 16th). If things take a turn for the worse, baby Sofia might need to come earlier, by way of C-section, since labor elevates blood pressure and growth restricted babies often can't handle the stress of labor. But for now, things are looking good and we're taking things one week at a time.
I have had two non-stress tests (NST) in the past two weeks. A non-stress test measures baby's heart rate when she's active and contrasts it with her resting heart rate. When there is a significant difference in the two heart rates, that means the baby is reactive and healthy. In order to pass an NST, the baby has to move twice in 30 minutes, and in those active periods, the heart rate needs to accelerate.
Sofia passed both NSTs ... she is an active baby. During our most recent NST, Sofia had her two active movements within two minutes. She also got the hiccups. The nurse administering the NST said that only healthy babies can have hiccups. Sadly, Sofia got agitated by her hiccups and her heart rate accelerated (a normal response). Poor thing. She gets hiccups about three times a day!
I also have had ultrasounds to measure my amniotic fluid level, called Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI). The first time, my level was 10 cc's (normal is 8 to 24). The last AFI was 10.4. Apparently, if my high blood pressure restricts blood flow to the placenta, then my fluid level will decrease. For now, things are still looking good.
Anyway, now that I'm on bedrest, I have a chance to catch up on my blogging. :) Be on the look out for more posts!
Fifteen
7 months ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment