Job was patient in his sufferings, and he never denied his testimony of the Lord.
I don't think I ever clearly understood why or how he remained faithful ... but in my recent studying of this book, I believe I caught a glimpse into his rationale.
Job's wife asks him in chapter 2, verse 9, "Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." To which Job responds in verse 10, "... What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?"
I'm sure I have read these verses before, but I don't think I understood their significance, especially in Job's response to his wife, "shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?" I didn't understand it until I had thought about it from my current perspective and situation:
***
From the beginning of my pregnancy, I have been awestruck at how perfectly my pregnancy was going. I was pretty miserable with the morning sickness in my first trimester, but even that was a sign of our baby's good health. And when we found out that we were having a girl - just like we were hoping for - I couldn't believe my good fortune. My whole pregnancy, up to these last two weeks, had really been a textbook pregnancy with really nothing going wrong.
In addition to everything going right with my pregnancy, we have also been blessed to be able to live in a basement apartment at my parents' house in order to save money (and help my parents finish their basement). Danny got health insurance through his work, so we would be double-covered for Sofia's birth. And wiith both of us working, we were able to save even more than we had initially budgeted.
Then my doctor put me on bedrest. And we are suddenly concerned about both my health and the health of our baby Sofia. (Pre-eclampsia is one of the few pregnancy conditions that still causes both mother and infant fatalities, even in the United States.) I have, of course, had to quit working, which has caused us to suddenly lose over half our income two months earlier than planned ... and we will also lose my health insurance benefits as of October 1st, so we most likely won't be double-covered for the birth.
***
Not that I'm comparing myself to Job, but going suddenly from "everything's perfect" to "what the?!" helped me to understand Job's position better than I had before.
He maintained his faith because he recognized God's hand in the blessings he had previously enjoyed.
This trying period in my life is like a lens that brings into sharp focus all of the blessings I have had lately. And seeing these blessings, I realize it would be hypocritical of me to not accept this trial (the evil) as readily as I accepted those blessings (the good).
So, here's my tribute to Job.
Thank you, Job, for teaching me how gratitude can bolster fortitude in the face of trials.
And thank you to YOU, for taking the time to read my blog, and for being a part of my life. Having the support of family and friends has meant a lot.

3 comments:
Thank you Brenda! We ALL need to remember those things! I am so glad to hear that you are finding spiritual strength during this trial. You and Sofia are both in my prayers!!! Call me anytime you need someone to talk to (661-822-4578). I love you guys!!!!!
Awesome! I love getting spiritual insights from you. This is great. What a great scriptual lesson. See you this weekend!
That was a great insight Brenda. And I wanted to add...as much as all those things are so hard to go through you will soon have a beautiful little girl who will make all the hard things you are going through worth it. God always gives more good after he gives the hard.
Post a Comment